Thursday, March 5, 2009

Beware

On my extremely long walk (I got lost twice, once because of bad indications) I decided to try to find a new skirt. The first store tried to sell me one for $135.00! I mean if there was anything to it, but it was just flimsy black fabric that "people raved about" (she said three times), no thanks. The second shop was much more decent with nice stuff for regular prices (which seemed like steals compared to the $135.00 item). All went well until I was sent to the dressing room to try them on.

I walked into this "largish" room but there was already a lady trying on stuff with another women telling her it didn't fit right. I looked around confused and managed to ask if this is where I was to try my clothes. My vendor smiled and said "yes", to which I muttered something like "we're not used to this back home..." while another lady came in to try some stuff. My helper didn't take pity on me and replied "this is much better because we can be with you and tell you if it fits or not" which they did - all four of them. I managed to remember all the summer camp tricks and showed the least amount of skin as possible and I got out of there with a nice skirt! I have to admit that it would be pretty hard to get out of there with something that didn't fit well.

So anyways, if trying on clothes with 2 other ladies and 4 workers isn't on your list of things to do, stick to Walmart.

5 comments:

  1. In Korea and in Greece the changing rooms are about the size of a closet, which you may have to share. I've been in a store where a woman just tried on the article of clothing in the store. She didn't take off her clothes but it was a shirt not really made to be worn over anything. The whole thing was funny.

    There are no such things as Walmarts here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Glad the camp tricks came in handy! Just imagine what it would have been like if you had taken gravol that day ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. That is really weird. I've never heard of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How bizarre! I probably would have left without the skirt, or asked about their return policy and taken it home to try on. Kudos to you for trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mitchell, I'd prefer if we didn't mention the whole gravol incident. Thinking of it in this context makes me imagine things I wouldn't want to live with!

    Ingrid, you've been warned. If you want to do some clothes shopping when you come you'll have to get used to the idea. Of course we could stick to yarn shopping!

    Sarah, you know, if I was half as intelligent as you I probably would have done the same thing but the thought never occurred to me. I'll have to remember that one, though now that I know what to expect it doesn't seem as scary anymore.

    ReplyDelete